Buying a used Jeep Wrangler can mean a savings of 25 to 50 percent over buying a new one. Wranglers are the kind of vehicles that when maintained can be driven for many miles.
So buying a Wrangler at a low cost may not be so impossible anymore. To ensure that you buy a good machine and not end up with a lemon, there are several things to keep in mind when buying a used Jeep.
- Take a close look at how the used Jeep Wrangler sits on even ground. Ideally, the vehicle should sit level horizontally when viewed from the rear and front. When viewed from the side, the rear of the vehicle should be slightly higher than the front. If the Jeep Wrangler does not sit properly, it means it has been driven fairly hard and you might want to reconsider the buy.
- Check all the tires to see the evenness of tread wear. If one of the tires of the used Jeep Wrangler shows more wear and tear than others, you might want to dig deeper for the cause.
- Also, look to see if all four tires of the Jeep Wrangler are of the type and brand. Sometimes, the owner might install a new set of front tires to encourage the sale. A new set of front tires will effectively hide the uneven tire wear caused by a suspension problem or a problem with the steering.
- Also check to see when the state inspection and emission stickers are due on the Jeep.
- The number of miles the used Jeep Wrangler has logged will also give you an idea about how much you can expect to spend on initial maintenance and repair.
- Another observation you should make is about the surroundings of the seller. If you are buying the Jeep from an individual, check to see if the garage, home and other surroundings are well maintained or not? The assumption of course is that if the person maintains all his property well, chances are the Jeep has been well taken care of too. If you see a general disregard for property, it may have rubbed off on the used Jeep Wrangler as well.
Thus, buying a used Jeep Wrangler can save you lots of money. However, it is imperative to arm yourself with the required knowledge before you go shopping!
Here are some great tips in finding good Jeep Dealers when your looking to buy your next Jeep.